Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Having fun yet?

Interesting pinnacle of summer fun was enduring (sorry, kids) the Calaway Park experience with my boys (10,13). 

Determined to accompany them and curious to see if I could do it without getting sick, I hunkered down into every ride they suggested.

Feeling like I was in that deep limbic euphoria/darkness of childbirth I was able to zone in so deeply that I didn't feel the spinning, shaking or zooming.

I just rode out the ride in my very own zone of stillness where nothing could touch me. In fact, I was nothing at that point but that point. 
"I have to admit," I said to my boys, "I'm not really having fun."

"What??!!" they were horrified, with that innocence/ignorance that the young can/must own.

And then I thought about it, and decided that I was actually, indeed, having a kind of fun. What the heck!! It doesn't have to be fun to be fun, right?!





1 comment:

Neil said...

The last time I went on a roller coaster, on the roof of the New York New York Hotel in Las Vegas in 2000, I couldn't walk for thirty minutes afterwards. My ex had to carry me out of the building.